Powered by Blogger.

Spring in Wolford (Part 2)

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yesterday I took some time to talk about the newly introduced spring and summer lines of tights at Wolford. I discussed a few different styles that I was less than enthused about. Today I'm much more excited to talk about a few of their new items that I'm very enthusiastic about. Some of these things are already getting my heart pumping, and it's certainly going to be difficult to keep from rushing to the store to buy any of these. Like them? Hate them? Have a particular favorite? I'd love to hear about it here.

To start with, we have the Bloom Tights. As with the medallion yesterday, I can't find these online anywhere. I'm hoping they hit the websites soon, or at least my local store, because these are very intriguing. As of right now, I only have one picture off of their website to go by and that's it. Fabric content, denier count, and price will all remain a mystery, but hopefully not for long.

The Bloom Tights are a bit of an extension from the fall/winter line of last year. Once again, Wolford is using a design, in this case an "elegant floral tendril" to create a back seam effect. From this one picture, I have to say, the style works very, very well. It will create a very unique look without any hint of gaudiness. Even the floral effect itself, seems very softly done when the design could've been quite overpowering, if it had been overdone. I like the fact that the model in this picture is wearing a thong bodysuit, because it allows you to see that the design continues all the way up the back of the leg to the waist. Personally, I think it looks great. Last season, they teamed up many of their back seam effects with a stay up effect, so that the back seam ended around mid-thigh. In this case I like how it continues all the way up instead, because it's such a nice design. I'm really looking forward to learning more about these as I'm quite certain I'm going to like them very much.

The second pair of tights that really caught my eye are the Grit Tights. I find this to be a really unique pattern, new this season, as well. Not only is it not something I've seen from Wolford in the past, but I don't recall seeing much like it from anyone. This is certainly a pair of tights that I'll be taking a close look at this season. When I go shopping at Wolford in the upcoming months, this will be on my short list.

The Grit are a diamond pattern ajoure tights. I fell in love with these the minute I laid eyes on them. There is just a tremendous amount of detail going on here, and the style and pattern is versatile with just about any look I can think of. The website claims that the material of these tights is "delightfully soft". I wouldn't dare to think otherwise, as just about any style and pattern that Wolford attempts to create, one common denominator is that they are always soft and comfortable. While I might be hesitant to buy this type of style from just anyone due to the scratchy look of it, I can almost picture how good these look and feel in my mind.

What's more is that the pattern starts at the very tip of the toe and continues all the way up to the waistband. There is no room for reinforced panties or toes with these tights, just this wonderful pattern covering all over.

These tights are a blend of 81% nylon and 19% elastane. Currently, they come in both black and java. I could imagine that they'd look great with a short skirt and a pair of boots. As you can see from the picture, they look just fine with open shoes as well. When I initially saw this style I expected it to be quite expensive, just due to the detail that has gone in to them. Rather, it is at the lower end of the price range for Wolford's fashion tights at £26.00. Really that isn't bad at all for something from Wolford that looks like this.

One thing seems for certain as I longingly browse this product line: I am a huge fan of ajoure. Strangely, something that I never gave much thought to before I saw these styles is something that I am lusting over now, as I type this. The Stage Tights are another nicely done attempt at ajoure, done by Wolford. They're a bit nicer than the Grit in my opinion, and certainly different enough that I should have no trouble convincing myself of the pressing need for both styles.

The Wolford website begins to describe these by stating that "sometimes the occasion calls for the 'wow' factor". Amen to that. I'm pretty sure that's the exact word I mouthed when i saw these. They're certainly an attention grabber (in the good sense of the phrase) and the style and detail is right on the money.

The Stage Tights have the ajoure pattern, but its sewn in a way to create a three dimensional effect. In addition, these are done with a tighter diamond pattern which looks even that much more stylish, in my opinion. As you work your way down the legs, the diamonds grow smaller, as the tights are required to stretch less, and the pattern look best, perhaps, on the wearer's feet.

This time, unlike with the Grit Tights, Wolford opted to go with the stay up look. Unlike many of their stay up looking tights, the pattern continues to the very top of the thigh. The top of the stay up is two horizontal lines that are done in a sort of design that is difficult to make out in these pictures, but looks nice. Above the two lines is just sheer nylon with, as is the case with most Wolford tights, has no reinforced panty.

The fabric content is 92% nylon and 8% elastane. Again, I'm not sure of the denier count. The website states that the material is "delightfully soft". They come in black on black, desert on black, and aloe on black. Don't you just love these? Myself, I am dying to try them on. Again, they're not horribly priced at £26.00. For that kind of detail, as well as the Wolford quality, I'd be happy to pay that amount for these.

Finally, above all the styles I looked at for the Spring/Summer line, I personally have to say, Medallion Tights win the gold (sorry for the horrible pun).

As I have said, Wolford has done the stay up look before. But this is something different. Looking at the detail of these, this is the one pair of fashion tights that you must own, if you're only going to own one.

Seriously, where to begin? Fortunately, the website pictures do a great job highlighting the details on these tights...and there are plenty to be highlighted.

Let's start at the top. Again, these are tights with a stay up effect, only, in this particular case, you'd almost swear that these were just stay ups, by looking at them. These tights begin sheer at the waist and continue down to about three quarter of the way to the top of the thigh. Instead of creating a more typically symmetric design as the top of the the stay up, the stay up design just sort of comes to an end with a lovely scalloping. From the top of the stay up, the floral medallion pattern begins. It continues, with a ton of detail, down the front of the leg all the way to the top of the foot. On either side of the detail, all around the leg the stay up effect is finished off with a very small tight-looking net pattern. Meanwhile, the floral medallions finally come to an midway down the top of the foot. From there, one seam continues down the middle of the foot to the toe.

If my words do these tights no justice, I'm sure the pictures do. The website states that an opaque/transparent knitting process was used to create this gorgeous effect. Indeed, it was a job well done.

The tights are a blend of 54% nylon, 36% polyester, and 10% elastane. They are 40 denier and the only color they are available in is black. That is just fine because the black color makes these tights look like the height of elegance.

As you might have expected, these tights run a bit more than the others that I reviewed in this entry. They'll cost you £37.00, which is far from inexpensive. But for all that detail, it probably isn't too surprising. That said, I can think of a million places these tights can be worn. It's a versatile style that will allow the wearer to be the best looking person in the room (at least from the thighs down ;)). I know it will be hard to resist buying these, and I'm not sure if I can risk waiting to see if they'll go on sale. I need to see how these feel and, much much more importantly, how they look. I need to know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment