Powered by Blogger.

Spring in Wolford (Part 1)

Monday, January 26, 2009

A well-timed visit last week to my favorite tights boutique last week gave me a preview of the Spring Summer 09 collection at Wolford. They were literally unpacking as I arrived, and I was more than happy to interrupt their work by sticking my nose in. My friend Tara had given me a look at the preview book that they send out to store managers in advance of the season's shipments, so I was somewhat familiar with the good, the bad, and the ugly of what was soon to be gracing the shelves of the store. But it's always a bit different to see these things in person, so I was more than a little happy about showing up when I did.

Several things in this collection caught my eye, some in a good way, others in a very much not-so-good way. One thing that is for certain, however, is my need to practice restraint in this upcoming season. There are those last few tuition bills to pay, as well as many other expenses, and, much like everyone else, my paycheck ain't getting any fatter. Readers of this blog know very well by now, the soft spot I have for Wolford tights. They probably also know that I don't always act too responsibly when there is a Wolford's package in my hand and a debit card in my pocket. But call it my New Year's resolution. I'm pledging to spend a little less and enjoy what I do buy (as well as the ever accumulating pile of what I already own) a little bit more. We'll see how well this works.

The good news? It's free to look. And like I said, there's plenty that has caught my eye already. There are already a few that I'm in love with. But I'm going to hold off on those, and get started on the one's that a)I'm not sure about and b)I'm quite sure I'm not going anywhere near. In the former category, I would definitely put the Glitz Tights. They are 86% nylon and 14% elastane. They are 20 denier and come with a soft knit waistband. These are your regular run of the mill Wolford tights, with a a back seam effect created by beading. Oh wait...did I say beading? I meant to say "Swarovski Crystal Elements". I like the french heel on these tights (something Wolford has not been doing enough of), and the tights aren't bad looking, but do we need Swarovski Crystals? I'm not convinced. Maybe someone would like to drop the £75.00 on them and give me their opinion.

Then there are the Shade Tights. Someone at Wolford is very proud of this design. How else could you explain it being on the cover of the season's preview book as well as several prominent features across the various Wolford websites? I can't say I'm 100% on board, myself, though. Each leg of these tights is split in half vertically down the middle. The inside of each leg is black while the outside is a "sahara" color, or some variation of nude/beige. The two colors are separated on the front and the back of the leg by a black seam. The sahara color ends right at the beginning of the toe, as the the entire toe is black.


The Shade Tights are eye catching, I suppose. I'm just not sure if they are eye catching in a good or a bad way. If feel it attracts a perhaps unnecessary amount of attention to one's inner thighs, if that makes any sense. Also, I would have to imagine they could very well be in constant need of adjustment. I mean, if a seam gets a little out of line, that's one thing, but if their are two completely contrasting colors at play, the tights have to be completely straight, at all times. Don't they? At any rate, I don't hate these. I just see myself as being disappointed if I were to purchase them. And when I buy Wolford, I want to be excited, not risking disappointment.

They're £29.00 and a 50/42/8 blend of polyester, nylon, and elastane. They're 15 denier. The website says they are "an interplay of lights and shadows with every step". I wonder if they're more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else. At any rate, I'd love to hear the opinion of others on these. Perhaps someone out there has already purchased them. It seems Wolford is trying to hang their hat this season on this style, so I'd love to know.

Strangely, the next style, the "Horizon Tights", I know very little about. For some reason, I can't find it at any of Wolford's online boutiques, despite the fact that it is part of their spring/summer line. Maybe it'll come out later down the road in between the summer and introduction of fall lines. I have no idea.

At any rate, it is a sheer tight with a seam up the back of the leg. It sounds simple enough, but the seam is quite wider than normal, and it is of a contrasting color to the tight. In other words, instead of the typical thin black seam that we see on most seamed stockings or tights (regardless most times of the color of the tights, themselves), this seam comes in bright colors, or metallic colors, or most other colors you can think of. Even the picture from Wolford's corporate website does very little to clarify exactly what these tights are going to end up looking like. Maybe I'll end up being impressed when I see them, but the concept of them doesn't really strike my fancy. I suppose I'll follow up on this particular style when I know more about it, because right now I know very little other than what I've stated above. Fabric content, denier count, and, most importantly, price are all beyond me at this point.

So where does that leave me? It leaves me at my absolute least favorite style this season. One look at these tights, and I was left wondering if the riesling was flowing a bit too much one late night for the design team in Austria. Otherwise, I'm not sure how else to explain these. They are the Wolford Shorty Tights, and I'm not sure if I can summon up the words to describe them.

They are black sheer tights with a contrasting panty as well as a contrasting heel and toe. The contrasting panty is supposed to create and illusion that the wearer is wearing very short shorts with the Wolford tights underneath. The contrasting heel and toe, of course, are to create.......well hell, I'm stumped. So fine, it's contrasting colors, not exactly re-inventing the wheel, right? Except the choice of color for the contrast is "bittersweet", or what the rest of us call "hot pink". Sorry, but the purpose of these is lost on me. I'm guessing the panty is going to spend most of it's time concealed under a skirt. The wearer can then make the choice of wearing open toed shoes which will show off the bright pink toe or hiding that detail away in a closed shoe. If it's going to be hidden, which I personally would recommend, than why bother? If you're going to show it off...well...I don't even know how...I guess that would mean that you're taking the shorty thing a little too seriously, or you at least like walking around with bright pink toes. Finally, if someone is present when the wearer undresses, that person is probably risking blinding by looking directly at it.

Alright, alright, I know what you're thinking. "Pink, you probably own 20 pairs of panties that color, why the big rant?" First of all, I may own a pair or two...but if I do, I can't recall them off the top of my head. Secondly, panties come in a million different colors, I'm sure I could locate a pair that color if I really needed to. Hell, tights come in that color too, but usually it's the whole tight, not just the panty. Finally, if you do wear this with open toed shoes, and someone way too familiar with Wolford (read: me) sees this, then that person would suddenly know you had bright pink panties on. Does this matter? I don't even know anymore. I'm confused.

At any rate. If you think I'm way off base, and fell in love with these the instant you saw them, they can be yours for £26.00. They are a blend of 40% nylon, 40% cotton, and 12% elastane. Go ahead and point out the fact that that doesn't even add up to 100%. I know that. But this is what the website tells me. They are 15 denier. The website calls them "fully intentional - fully surprising". On one hand, it's good to know they did this intentionally. As far as "surprising"? I guess it would be a surprise to anyone who caught someone else in these. Whether that would be a pleasant surprise at all or not, I guess is in the eye of the beholder.

At any rate, this long-winded post represents the lesser appealing (as far as I'm concerned) items in the Spring/Summer collection. I admit that this is probably as critical of Wolford I've ever gotten. What can I say? They're still my favorite. And trust me, there are some items in this collection I am already lusting for and drooling over. I plan on talking about those as well in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment