Powered by Blogger.

So, I'm a Shopaholic...

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Okay, so I've long since reached the point where I can walk into any Victoria's Secret and ask to try any item on. A little over 10 years ago, this would never have seemed like a possibility. I, like most men probably, was intimidated by lingerie shopping. How did I get to this point? I guess my love for lingerie outgrew my uneasiness about shopping in such an environment.

In the mid 1990s, I was in my teens, and as most teens do, I spent a lot of time in the mall. Being as into panties as I was, I was always intrigued by the lingerie departments in large department stores, and more so the stores dedicated exclusively to selling lingerie. As enjoyable as walking by one and looking in the window was, I never went inside. I suppose I felt like all eyes would be on me as soon as I walked in.

When I began dating I finally had the excuse I needed to shop for lingerie. I would shop for my girlfriend, but take mental notes for myself. It didn't take me long to realize how at home I felt there. Upon shopping for my girlfriend, I realized that lingerie shopping wasn't as bad as I thought. It was always assumed that I was shopping for my girlfriend, I was always well attended to, and salespeople were always naturally drawn to men, figuring they needed more help than women.

The Victoria's Secret Semi-Annual Sale gave me all the cover I needed. The store was crowded, and the panties were separated nicely by sizes in different bins. I walked in and grabbed a handful of stuff in my size. When I was paying for it, the girl ringing me up asked me if I needed a gift box. By that time, I was already feeling extra confident and told her no. She gave me a bit of a strange look, but I was already on my way out the door. I walked around with the pink bag almost serving as a sign that I came, saw, and conquered. I felt proud of my new purchase, and almost a little sorry that people probably mistakenly thought I had shopped for someone else...

No comments:

Post a Comment