Powered by Blogger.

Tights Lover's Lament

Friday, November 19, 2010

Look. I realize that I spend more time in a day thinking about tights than many people do in a lifetime. That's okay. I don't even worry about that anymore. I made peace with it.

What I do worry about, is the lack of immediate gratification in my life (at least when it comes to my tights purchases). Now I realize that drinking 3 bottles of wine a day does not necessarily make you a connoisseur...but, I do feel like I'm experienced enough to know my way around a pair of tights. Yet, sometimes I look at all the tights I own and realize how many of them I truly dislike. Now I know what you're thinking: Maybe it's cause they weren't made for you, dumbass. But no, that isn't the problem...or at least you'll never get me to admit that's the problem.

Nope. The 100%, numero uno problem is immediate gratification, or in other words, availability...or lack thereof. Stay with me.

Now if you've read this blog regularly (and if you live in the United States, I guess), or even if you just look at the pictures, you may know what I'm talking about. I highlight a pair of tights (or ten) you go to look for them at the store...and......not there. I've noticed this, at least. This, of course, drives the compulsive shopper in me a bit nuts. I've said, on a number of occasions, that UK Tights is my favorite place to shop (or should I say 'favourite'?). So here's what I do. I stuff a shopping cart full (figuratively) of tights, I submit my credit card info, I take a bath on the exchange rate, I submit, then I wait. Next, I get impatient. I hit the streets. I stuff a shopping cart full (still figuratively...that'd be a lot of tights...even for me) of tights, and I take them home....yay new tights!

Except I hate just about all of them. For whatever reason (outside of Wolford) there isn't much out there that I like. What do I like? To me, it seems pretty simple. Completely sheer, no reinforced panty of any kind. A low denier count, but not so low that you tear a hole in them by looking at them. A high quality look and feel...doesn't have to be Wolford, but how many times have I said something reminds me of Wolford? That's about it. A little shine can be good. A texture or pattern could be fun...maybe a few different shades or colors to choose from...and really, I'm in.

You wouldn't believe how hard to find that can be. I love the quality and look of Nordstrom, but try finding a sheer-throughout. You can't. They don't have it. I can't find it in higher-end department store brands like CK or DKNY either. Same for Ann Taylor. VS? Don't even get me started. I don't know who designs their leg wear.

Brands that I have found a sheer tend to be very low-end department store or even drugstore/supermarket..why bother? Some specialty stores can carry Leg Avenue or Music Legs, but those are pretty horrendous quality. I used to be able to find what I'm looking for with Hue...but last week I went to three different stores and all they had were control-top. Again, I realize the usefulness of control-top, but can't somebody throw me a bone?

After all this long-windedness...I do have a point: Why is there so much high quality/low cost leg wear that is unavailable in stores? I'm not alone in this thinking. If you look at the 'About Us' page on UK Tights one of the first things their founder, Dawn, says is her company started because "people supplying hosiery were not doing a very good job of it". It seems as though there is a disconnect between the quality manufacturers and the brick and mortar stores. Why is this? Maybe quality comes from small-batch production and distribution to store chains requires mass-production? Maybe manufacturers aren't convinced that they could move enough product to justify bulk shipping it to stores?

It's funny because I see the opposite problem on the consumer side. I've received countless comments from people who dislike tights because the tear too easily, or because they don't look/fit right, or because high quality costs too much. I think the fact is, people are buying ill-fitting low-quality stuff because tights are often something you grab off the shelf the day you need it...not something you order and then wait a week or two for shipment. It's all just a theory, though.

I have no idea what the solution to any of this is...short of putting my Entrepreneurship MBA-concentration to work and opening a nationwide store chain (don't hold your breath). Just know that I mean what I say. Do you have $8 plus a couple of bucks for shipping? Go buy these and give them a try.

Then tell me if you've ever picked something off a store shelf that's as good as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment