Powered by Blogger.

Perry Steals the Show?

Friday, November 12, 2010

Is anyone going to watch this year's Victoria's Secret fashion show, set to air November 30th? Surprisingly enough, I almost never do. I don't really even have a good reason why. It's lingerie on display, so by rule I should like it. And there's a good chance I won't be doing much else at 10PM on a Tuesday night (although I may have to check the Celtics' schedule). But try as I might, I've always had a hard time finding this show interesting...you know, beyond the zealots who want to shut it down, and the fact that they have to air it at 10PM now, because, you know...the kids. We don't want them to find out about underwear...that could be catastrophic.

Maybe I should say, I have a hard time finding Victoria's Secret interesting. Since I've started blogging, I've almost surprised myself with the contempt I've developed for VS. I shop there, of course. It's hard not to given the convenience, price, and the every-day practicality of some of their product. On the other hand, in my opinion, their attempts at sexy typically miss the mark, their attempts at vintage are laughable, and PINK...what to say about PINK...other than I dream of going store to store world wide and burning each PINK section of every store to the ground.

Hmmm...maybe I should add an 'unhealthy' to the 'contempt' above.

I am convinced, however, that all of this is not lost on the suits at VS headquarters. On one hand they realize they're (undeservingly?) holding gold, when it comes to the fashion show. On the other hand, they have little clue what to do with it, other than 'whose turn is it to parade down the runway in the $2 million diamond bra this year?'.

So they put together side shows: performers of some sort. One year it was a spiffy little Spice Girls reunion. Another year was.......you got me...like I said, I don't typically watch it. When I do, I forget it as soon as I shut off the TV. Which is too bad because, you know, I got $2 million lying around that I can't figure out what to do with.

Which brings me (finally?) to Katy Perry. She is our performer Du Jour, performing with Akon (don't worry, he'll be fully clothed......at least I think). Her two outfits according to reports, are anywhere from "daring" or "provocative" to, uh, "raunchy", allowing her to fit right in, if not, outshine the models who typically wear the adjectives above. And it's not like I can deny my admiration of her tights-wearing ability, after all.

Perry, who needs no lessons on how to market herself, should feel right at home, on stage as the outfits (however you want to describe them) accompany her lovely (if not digitally enhanced) singing voice. If nothing else, VS should find her exactly (yes, he's going to say it) the Spice this year's fashion show needs.

Huh. Maybe I will tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment