Powered by Blogger.

Tights Inspiration...

Friday, August 6, 2010

Today's question comes from erika of Cafe Fashionista:

Who (either alive or dead; historical figure or current celebutante) do you feel wears tights the best?

Oh twist my arm, why don't you?

Just know that I had to spend many an hour scouring for the perfect photos to back up my claim(s) when I could have been filing financial reports or the like.

And you thought this was easy ;-).

If you can't tell already, this was among my very favorites of questions. But I'm going to let the photos do most of the answering. But since it would be no fun to just say "I believe it is celebrity X.", if came up with a list.

...two, actually. Two lists.

Past

June McCall

June McCall was an actress and pin-up model in the 1950s. At a time when other actresses still weren't showing any leg, McCall was wearing tights like these. She even starred in a movie named Silk Stockings. Need I say more?


Twiggy
With a modeling career that began in the mid 60s and still goes on today, Twiggy has always rocked the tights. She's recently been thrust back in to the spotlight, thanks to America's Next Top Model. And why not? She's always belonged in the spotlight anyway.



Bettie Page

One of the first mainstream pin-up models, Page introduced the world to fetish photography before it, and perhaps she, was ready. After spending most of the 1950 glamoring the world, she walked away from it in 1959, converted to Christianity, and began working for Billy Graham. Her later life is marred by depression and mental illness. Sadly, she passed away almost two years ago. I remembered her here.



Sharon Tate

Tragically remembered as a victim in the Charles Manson murders, Tate can be remembered here in a much happier light. Tate enjoyed a successful (if not sometimes controversial) film career in the 1960s. What's not controversial at all, is how good she looks in tights.




Jean Shrimpton

When you're generally credited for helping launch the miniskirt, you're probably going to end up on a list like this. Prior to Shrimpton, long skirts and/or pants were all that were acceptable to females in front of the camera. By shortening the hem of her skirts, she also helped usher in the era of tights. I for one will always be grateful, Jean...

Present




Rihanna

If you read my blog post yesterday you probably assume I'm not a huge fan of her music. I am a fan of her looks here, though. Few performers put more into their look than here, and when she adds the tights, you'll never here me object.


Katy Perry

Again, not musically my cup of tea but she always seems to incorporate tights in to her look. Sheer black often seems to the the choice and she tends to match it up with short skirts that really help accentuate it.



Kylie Minogue

She's been around for a long time, but she's still looking her absolute best. I'm not sure Kylie has ever had a day when she looked bad. But I know for sure, she's had none better than the one where she rocked the black stockings.




Fergie

I'm guessing these pictures probably do a pretty good job speaking for themselves. Fergie, along with the Black Eyed Peas, probably has a million different looks and a ton of different styles. But for me, it doesn't get any better than these three photos.



Lilly Allen

If I ever meet Lily Allen in person, I'm going to demand that we compare notes on tights. So often, the stuff I find to profile on my blog, ends up her legs. It seems like she always incorporates tights in to her look, and they're always of the latest and greatest styles. She is like my female alter-ego.

Bonus fact: Allen just recently announced that she is three months pregnant. I guess its time to go shopping for maternity tights...

No comments:

Post a Comment