Powered by Blogger.

Call Me Tights Master

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I have a few questions left, which I'm going to count down one by one before I wrap up by selecting my $25 Sock Dreams gift certificate winner.

Today's is from Couture Carrie:

Would love to hear more about that MBA, darling!

No problem!

Indeed. Everyone's favorite lingerie superhero has a day job and, shortly after finishing undergrad with a degree in accounting, decided to enhance that day job with some higher learning. I guess you could say I studied in lingerie, but majored in business administration.

...okay, no more bad jokes.

But I did, in fact, recently graduate with an MBA in Entrepreneurship. I'm hoping that someday, the time in money invested will pay off for more than simply being able to brag that I can spell the word 'entrepreneurship' right, on my first try, with no assistance from the spell check whatsoever. I do often joke that I'm going to use the experience to help me open my own local lingerie shop with a focus on vintage and retro looks that are so hard to find outside of online shopping.

You'd buy lingerie from me, right?

I'd say the worst part about it is graduating in the midst of a bad recession and not really having the appetite to make a job change to bigger and better, much less strike out on my own. I'd say the best part about it, other than the sense of accomplishment and of course forthcoming heavy cash windfall, was to apply what I learned in the workforce to the classroom and vice versa. Interestingly, the worst classes were the finance and accounting ones (red flag, anyone?). The classes I got more out of, and enjoyed more, were the Entrepreneurship (obviously) and Marketing classes.

My advice to anyone considering getting an advance degree is: Be sure you like the classroom/studying environment. We all remember how much fun we had in undergrad...somehow this ain't as much fun.

Just know that no, you don't want me doing your taxes, but yes, I'm happy to give my two cents of advice to anyone looking to start their own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment