Powered by Blogger.

Fishnet Friday

Friday, March 6, 2009


I've only linked her blog about 752 times in the last year, but just in case you're still not reading it (though I highly doubt it), Stockings Addict has declared March 4-11 "Fishnet Stockings Week". What's more, is that we were to all participate today by wearing our fishnets. Now me, I am never one to disobey. So I'm rocking the finest fishnets in my stockings drawer in observance.

You know me. They are, of course, from Wolford. Come to think of it, I haven't worn Wolford for a while (at least for me it's a while). It's nice to be back in them.

Now Wolford is never at a shortage of fashion tights, and, as a result, always carries a good variety of fishnets and faux fishnets. The Wolford Twenties fall under the category of basic (ie. non seasonal) tights. They are one of the basics. They never go out of style. They are always available.

I've reviewed quite a bit of Wolford on this blog, but most of it has been their fashion tights. It's always exciting to see what types of styles, colors, and textures a new season brings. As a result, I end up liking, and buying, a good bit of what I see as each new season begins (although I've been holding myself back so far this season).

I've touched a lot less on the basics that they carry year round. This is not meant to be interpreted as the basics not being as good or as worthwhile as the fashion stuff. In fact, it's probably just the opposite. You can buy a handful of things from their basic leg wear line, you can wear them as everyday wear or to just about any event or occasion and they will be more than appropriate. What's more is you don't have to worry about the pattern growing tiresome or not being appropriate, which is good because, with Wolford quality, if you take care of them, they're going to last you a very, very long time.

As such, if you're looking for some every day fishnets, but with high quality and durability, Wolford is a great place to look. These have a very fine fishnet patterns, so the holes are rather small diamond patterns. They are meant to be modeled after the styles of the 1920s (hence the name) when style was mandatory and fishnets were quite often the leg wear of choice. The combination of style, feel, and quality will provide you with the appropriate amount of elegant feel and will project such elegance to onlookers.

These tights are sheer throughout. This means, save for the waistband and the cotton gusset, this is a all fishnet. There is no control top or toe reinforcements. However, due to the fineness of the fishnets your toes will not poke through, I promise you that. They're also almost unthinkably resistant to tear and quite durable no matter how you treat them. They look delicate, but will put up with their share of abuse and then some.

Unlike most Wolford leg wear, these come in more than just black. In fact, they come in a wide array of colors, including some pastels, allowing you to coordinate to your heart's content. Their composition (independent of the cotton gusset) is 80% nylon and 20% elastane. They are available in sizes ranging from XS (4'9") to XL (5'10" with 54 inch hips). That seems to be a conservative estimate on Wolford's part as well. I am 5'10" myself and the medium size fits me more than comfortably. Chances are good that you can find ones to fit you comfortably too.

You can buy them for £19.00 (about $27...yay USD!!), which makes them much more affordable than much of Wolford's leg wear line. If you're so inclined, you can also buy the stay ups which match the tights except they're...stay ups. Those are available in only black or honey and cost £21.00 (just under $30). Either way, you're getting good value for your money spent, and many enjoyable wears from your fishnets.

I know I couldn't be happier with mine. And a happy Fishnet Friday to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment