Powered by Blogger.

Eulogy magazine enjoys a second coming!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Magazine's first and last ssue
Delighted by the news that 'the world's first death magazine' is staging a resurrection. Eulogy was published last summer but appeared to die after its very first issue. A rumour grew that certain persons behind the title imagined that writers get up in the morning and say to themselves: 'Who can I give something for nothing to today?' I say no more, suffice that I was paid handsomely by the title for my two pieces after only a minimum of energy expenditure post-publication.

Its personable and clever editor Alfred Tong has probably suffered many a long night since the first launch and subsequent travails; but here he is, back again, with a wonderful new website. His editor's letter chronicles a rites of passage that promises a most fascinating auto-biography if he can resist the atheistic allure of Dignitas at the slightest twinge or headache. He strikes me as being a tough and enterprising cookie who learns fast. So good luck to the poppet.

I don't think the magazine will reappear in the shops. The website is its new corporeal casing; sensible in my view. Eulogy sets out to be a forum for bereavement and end-of-life organisations and charities as well as an inspiration, a place for mortal anecdote and perhaps a death market analyst. No more ideas of 'coffin-shaped magazines', plainly.

I am only sorry that the one and only issue of Eulogy, which had my permanent fiancee Molly Parkin on the cover, is consigned to a bin in the opening illustration. It was a good cover; the issue had some fine content: I understand the symbolism but Molly wasn't to blame for a crap management.

To view the new Eulogy website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment