Powered by Blogger.

James Randi's coming out at 81: ever soooooo peculiar

Sunday, April 18, 2010


I am of course delighted that "professional sceptic" James Randi finally got round to telling his public that he's a cock-cocker - and my thanks to the Social Shuttle for bringing me up to speed on this important matter. Unprofessional sceptics - of smug sceptics - such as myself may wonder why he left it sooo late: after all, he is 81. Still, here's an opportunity for his godless fans to swoon on the messageboards about his (belated) "courage".

Yet I shouldn't have thought anyone ever doubted it. Years ago he told the world that he had been the victim of harassing, obscene phone calls from New Jersey youths. The miscreants were apparently caught and arrested after he'd taped his chats with them under the direction of the cops - though the content of this tape subsequently became the matter of controversial interpretation, notably in a case brought in vain against Randi by Uri Geller.

At a public lecture in California, Randi punched an unnamed man who repeated certain claims arising from this tape. Or as Randi puts it, "I took the opportunity of flooring a nasty chap who had made similar accusations about me, and had been boasting about it loudly. One shot, to the chops. He went down, and was carried out. VERY satisfying, I assure you."

Such pugnacity has its advantages (a short, sharp, shock treatment, etc) and is - in my experience - an exceptionally odd attribute in someone who waits till he reaches 81 to tell the world of the trivial matter of his closeted cock-cockery.

No comments:

Post a Comment