Powered by Blogger.

New Season Dawning at Wolford (Part 1)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009


It was about 6 months ago when I did a multi-part review of the new line from Wolford and all of its hits and misses. Well, Wolford is back with it's fall/winter collection, and I'm back to pick it apart and give you the highlights and some of the (admittedly much tougher to find) low points.

There was plenty that caught my eye in both a good and a bad way. In general its a bit more darker in tone and opaque in denier, which one might expect because these are geared towards the winter months. While that might be tough to swallow for those of us in the northeast who are still waiting for some slight hint that summer may come at some point, at least I shouldn't have too much trouble envisioning the cold, wet, damp, and rainy nature of fall and winter. All I have to do is step outside.

As I did last time, I'm going to kick things off by taking a look at a few things that I couldn't get too enthusiastic about. Three stood out in particular, and, as always, I'm happy to hear from anyone who agrees or disagrees. Like all lingerie, its in the eye of the beholder, and its whatever gets you excited. These ones for me....not so much.

The first of these, unfortunately, will go photoless, for the time being. They are the Roxana Leggings. As I begin to describe these you may find one common thread among them. This probably means I'm somewhat biased, but so be it. I can't help that I find certain things unappealing.

If you have the time, go the the Wolford website and check out leg wear trend #14 of 33. They are leggings, done in maroon color with a brighter red ankle band. But Wolford didn't stop there. These leggings, in all of their 1980s glory, descend below the ankle and continue over the shoe and halfway down heel. Having lived through the 80s once, I have no desire to relive them, hence my bias. Leggings that cover half of a high heeled shoe? An eyesore...

Another pair of leggings that I won't be purchasing in the upcoming season are the Grace Leggings. Again, these are like a bad 1980s nightmare regurgitated. These leggings are made of merino wool and have a soft rib detail. Again, they run over the shoe, but not quite so egregiously as the Roxanas.

But things do get worse. At the bottom of these leggings is a zipper that extends halfway up the calf on the side of the leg. On either side of the zipper is stud detailing. It's supposed to create a 'rocker girl' appearance, but, to me, it misses the mark.

The Grace Leggings have a sewn on waistband. They are 80% virgin wool and 20% nylon. They are also quite expensive at £199.00 ($329). I'll pass thanks.

Another style I'll be passing on is the Leticia Tights. These are your standard Wolford tights that are sheer throughout with a comfort waistband. The twist is that they have a satin band that circles the leg continuously from the ankle all the way up the calf. At the knee the band is tied into a satin bow. There is a knitted in loop that is designed to keep the satin bow in place.

To me, this is a rare miss for the designers at Wolford. Typically, they've been able to mix up styles and keep their fashion hosiery line constantly fresh. Later this week we'll see plenty of what I feel are some great examples of that. But with the Leticia Tights, I just feel that they tried and missed.

These tights are 80% nylon and 20% elastane. They're 20 denier. These tights are available sizes extra small to large in black only. They cost £36.00 ($60). While they're certainly much less expensive than the Grace leggings, they're still not worth the money, in my opinion. Wolford has much better options in this forthcoming season.

And those are to come in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment