Powered by Blogger.

The Department Store Ups and Downs Continue

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Recently, Nordstrom department stores have been opening up in my general area. It's a bit more of a hike then the Wolford store for me, but the other day I had some free time and thought I'd check them out. I've heard they carry a nice selection of quality stockings...which was all I needed to hear.

In addition to brands such as Donna Karan and Hue, Nordstrom has their own line of stockings, and its quite an impressive variety. Their 3 for $27 promotion also gives one the opportunity to try a few different kinds and get a feel for what works for him or her and what doesn't.

I do, however have a couple of issues. First, for all the different types of stockings they carry (sheer, semi-sheer, opaque, patterned, thigh high, stockings, etc.) they didn't have a sheer to waist or non-control top. I asked the saleswoman about this, just in case I was missing them, but she confirmed that every pair they carried had at least a light control top. Despite this setback, she spent some time helping me select a few pairs for me to try as well as providing her opinion on what looked good against my skintone, helping me eventually settle on three different styles and colors.

My other gripe would be what seems to be becoming a common theme amoung department stores...they don't offer any (or in this case not all) of their own brand name online. You might recall my post about Bloomingdale's hosiery back on June 21. It's the same situation with these. I bought the Nordstrom Ultra Sheer Control Top hosiery in the store, and now cannot locate it online. I even double-checked with the online help at Nordstrom and they confirmed this. Brenda, my online help, told me I could contact the store by telephone and they would send me additional pairs. While that's great, it just seems odd to me that they wouldn't put these up on their site. For a department store way out in the suburbs, it could be an opportunity to make additional sales to people like me, who live in the city.

And I probably would buy more. Despite my general dislike for control top, these are pretty nice. In addition, as pantyhose go, these are somewhat unique. They have a sheet toe and are very sheer (6 denier) all the way up to the panty(very top of my thigh). The control top panty is a 84/16 blend of nylon and elastane. The leg, however, is 100% nylon. That, combined with the high level of sheerness provides a blend to my skin tone that is unusual for pantyhose. At the store, we went with the light beige, and that turned out to be a pretty good match. When I put them on this morning, I immediately noticed that they felt more like my vintage stockings, than like any pair of pantyhose I've ever worn. As much as I like these, it makes me even more upset that they don't have a style with a completely sheer panty.

At any rate, in terms of quality, I find the Nordstrom Ultra Sheer Control Top to be just as good as I had heard they were. It makes me even more eager to try their stockings. Perhaps they give the vintage stocking feel at a fraction of the price. The price of these, $10 or 3 for $27 sure makes them a worthwhile buy, and an opportunity to stock up. I know I will. I mean, they'll never replace Wolford as my favorite. But they do provide a reasonably priced alternative for when I'm in the mood for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment